My son loves pasta. And I mean he LOVES pasta. So I’m always looking at alternative ways of giving him pasta, that aren’t just your bog-standard “pasta and tomato sauce” recipes.
Lot’s of people recommended Macaroni Cheese to me, but every recipe I found online had dairy, dairy and more dairy. Being dairy intolerant and allergic to eggs, I often come across this stumbling block when looking at new recipes. And hence my mission to adapt this culinary classic into an allergy-friendly dish for my little man to enjoy.
Now I’ve listed this as a vegan recipe. But I’ve made this twice now, once with a vegan cheese, and once with a lactose-free cheese and both have come out amazing!
Vegan Macaroni Cheese
Allergen Notes: This recipe is free from Dairy, Eggs and Nuts (Vegan-friendly!). You could also make is Gluten Free by using GF pasta, flour and breadcrumbs.
Prep Time: 10mins
Cook Time: 40mins
- 300g Macaroni
- 20g Dairy Free Butter or Margerine (I use Flora Dairy Free)
- 600ml Alpro Almond Soya Milk
- 20g Flour (I use Doves Farm)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Yeast Flakes (I use Marigold Engevita)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 150g Vegan Cheese (I used a supermarket Soy Cheese)
- 20-30g Breadcrumbs according to preference
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4
- Put the pasta into a pan of boiling water. Bring back to the boil, stir once, then cook as per packaging instructions (normally around 7-9mins).Once cooked, drain and set aside in a baking dish
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large pan and stir in the flour. Keep stirring into a paste, then gradually pour in the milk until the paste has fully absorbed into the milk
- Whisk the sauce for about 5mins on a gentle simmer until it thickens
- Add the nutmeg, yeast flakes and 100g of the cheese, and stir until the cheese has melted
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix. Place the tomatoes on top, then the rest of the cheese, then finally the breadcrumbs to form a cover over the top
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the breadcrumbs have turned golden brown